What types of breast abnormalities are there?
- Bilateral mammary hypertrophy Further information: breast reduction
- Severe bilateral mammary hypoplasia (cup size smaller than A). Further information: breast augmentation with breast implants
What are the objectives of surgery to correct congenital breast malformations?
Congenital breast malformations can have a significant psychological impact on an adolescent, requiring reconstructive breast surgery.
What are the breast surgery techniques used for congenital breast malformation surgery?
Congenital breast malformation surgery uses a number of aesthetic and reconstructive breast plastic surgery techniques: treatment of breast ptosis (mastopexy), breast reduction, breast augmentation with implants, breast augmentation with fat transfer (lipostructure), etc.
DESCRIPTION OF TUBEROUS BREASTS
Tuberous breasts are a form of breast deformity that include many clinical abnormalities:
- Abnormality of the base of the breast: abnormal distribution of the mammary gland. This abnormality is common to all tuberous breasts and is systematically observed. It can leave the breasts "shaped like an italic S", due to the insufficient development of the breast in the inferior quadrant
- Breast asymmetry: asymmetry of breast shape, volume, or inframammary folds
- Areola herniation. Herniation of the areola results in areolae of enlarged diameter and tubular shaped breasts.
TECHNICAL PRINCIPLES OF TUBEROUS BREASTS SURGERY
The purposes of breast surgery for tuberous breasts are to:
- Make the breasts symmetrical
- Lift the breasts
- Remodel the breasts to create an attractive shape
- Augment or reduce the volume of the breasts
- Define the inframammary fold in a satisfactory manner
- Reduce the diameter of the areolae
Photo showing example of result: before/after photo breast surgery for tuberous breasts
DESCRIPTION OF POLAND SYNDROME
Poland syndrome is a breast malformation involving hypoplasia (one small breast) combined with malformation of the chest (partial defect of the pectoralis major muscle). There is often also some malformation of the hand.
There are several degrees of severity of chest and breast malformation.
TECHNICAL PRINCIPLES OF SURGERY FOR POLAND SYNDROME
There are many breast surgery techniques available. The choice of procedure will be specific to each patient based on the clinical appearance and severity of the Poland syndrome in the breast.
- Moderate forms of Poland syndrome: breast augmentation with breast implants combined with lipostructure (fat injection). Further information: breast augmentation with fat transfer and breast augmentation with breast implants
- Severe forms of Poland syndrome: the breast surgery techniques used for mammary reconstruction after cancer can be used. Further information: breast reconstruction after breast cancer
TUBEROUS BREAST SURGERY
Breast surgery with T-lift mastopexy on left and periareolar lift on right, and breast augmentation with implants.