Surgery of the eyelids or blepharoplasties – Cannes & Nice | Dr. Victor Médard de Chardon
Blepharoplasty is aesthetic surgery on the upper and/or lower eyelids.
Ageing of the eyelids and eye area
Ageing of the eyelids is marked by the gradual appearance of a slackening of the skin, excess skin, dark circles and bags under the eyes. The cheeks start to become hollow and sag, the corner of the eye droops, expressions lines such as crow's feet and that of the glabella set in (wrinkles at the dermal breakdown stage). The upper eyelids are heavy and drooping. The eye area can therefore appear sad or tired.
Principles of eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
The principles of a rejuvenation or enhancement of the eye area are adapted to each patient and may consist of tightening the skin, restoring volume (reduction of bags and restoring the volume of the cheeks), treating dark circles, lifting the cheeks and the corners of the eye. The desired effect is a "brightening" of the eye area and a "softening" of certain traits responsible for the ageing of the eye area.
From what age is eyelid surgery practised?
Aesthetic surgery of the eyelids is currently practised from the age of 40, sometimes at a younger age when the issues are constitutional.
UPPER EYELID SURGERY UPPER BLEPHAROPLASTY
The aim of aesthetic surgery of the upper eyelids is to treat drooping eyelids. The desired effect is a brightening of the eye area. The eyes catch the light more, the eye area looks younger, rested and more relaxed.
- Excess skin creating the appearance of drooping eyelids is removed
- The fatty pouch in the inner eye area is refined
- Scarring from a blepharoplasty procedure of the upper eyelids is perfectly concealed inside the crease of the upper eyelid, is of excellent quality and usually invisible
- Particular case for sunken eyes: When the eyes are sunken, a blepharoplasty involving a resection of the skin is not indicated; instead a correction of the lacking volume is performed using fillers (hyaluronic acid or a micro-injection of fat). Further information: hyaluronic acid injection and lipostructure
LOWER EYELID SURGERY: LOWER BLEPHAROPLASTY VIA A SUBCILIARY INCISION
There are multiple objectives involved in aesthetic surgery of the lower eyelids:
- To treat wrinkles on the lower eyelid by restoring moderate tension
- To treat or reduce bags under the eyes (fatty pouches on the lower eyelids)
- To reduce dark circles and the palpebro-jugal groove
- The incision is placed 1 mm under the eyelashes
- The skin of the lower eyelid is gently lifted to create a natural result
- The fatty pouches under the eyes are removed
- Dark circles and the palpebro-jugal groove are improved
- The eye area appears less tired
- The incision is placed inside the conjunctiva and there is no obvious scarring
- The fatty palpebral pouches are removed
- The eye area appears younger and there are no stitches to remove
In order to improve the malar pockets or medio-jugal grooves (tear troughs), a midface lift can be performed. Further information: Midface lift.
SURGERY OF UNDER-EYE BAGS WITH NO SCARRING: TRANSCONJUNCTIVAL BELPHAROPLASTY
The objective of transconjunctival aesthetic surgery of the lower eyelids is to treat the inferior palpebral pouches (bags under the eyes) without lifting the skin of the eyelids and without scarring.
POST-OPERATIVE EFFECTS AND RESULT
- Same-day discharge or the following day with no dressing
- No pain but can cause discomfort such as watering and stinging in the eyes
- Frequent ecchymosis (bruising): 7 to 14 days Frequent oedema: lasting several days
- The stitches are removed between the 3rd and the 6th day
- Invisible induration of the corner of the eye: 1 to 3 months
- Return to social activities after 7 days
- Immediately visible result. Definitive result at 6 months
- Scars are often invisible because they can be perfectly concealed
- Photo showing example of result: blepharoplasty before/after photo
OPTIMISATION OF THE RESULT AND MAINTENANCE OF A BLEPHAROPLASTY
In order to treat all the contributors to ageing, and with a view to creating an overall more youthful and harmonious effect in the eye area, other medical and aesthetic surgery techniques are often combined:
- Mid-facial lift. Further information: face lift cannes
- Temporal brow lift Further information: face lift cannes
- External canthopexy
- Injection of Botox (Botulinum toxin). Further information: botox injection cannes
- Injection of fillers (hyaluronic acid, injection of fat). Further information: Hyaluronic acid injection - Cannes
- Skin resurfacing techniques (dermabrasion, chemical peels and laser therapy)
1. Scar from upper eyelid blepharoplasty
2. Scar from lower eyelid blepharoplasty.
- Consultations take place at : Eden Palace, 145 rue d’Antibes 06400 Cannes
- The operation takes place at the clinic in Cannes or in Nice
- Hospitalisation : Outpatient or one night
- Anaesthesia : generaql or local with sedation
- Duration : 1 to 2 hours