Face lift: face lift and neck lift- Cannes & Nice | Dr. Victor Médard de Chardon
INTRODUCTION TO FACE LIFTS
WHAT IS THE AIM OF A FACE LIFT?
Face lifts have the aim of rejuvenating the face without modifying the facial features, by placing the anatomical structures back to a "younger" position. Face lift and neck lifting can be envisaged when the signs of facial ageing start to appear, from 40 or 45 years old. Facial rejuvenation using a face lift and neck lift combines a face lift, neck lift (cervical lift) and often a temporal brow lift.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF FACIAL LIFT?
- Face lift and neck lift A "lower SMAS" face lift and neck lift restores the jaw contour (the oval of the face), smoothes out the neck and redefines the angle between the neck and the chin. A "high SMAS" face lift and neck lift enables the position of the cheek to be enhanced.
- Temporal brow lift A temporal brow lift raises the external part of the eyebrow, smoothes out crow's feet and brightens up the eye area
- Midface(or centrofacial) lift. a midface lift raises the cheek, treats dark circles, the tear trough and lower eyelid (blepharoplasty)
- Brow lift. A brow lift enables the brows to be raised, to brighten up the eye area and to smoothe out wrinkles. Depending on the indications, a brow rejuvenation can be performed using a coronal brow lift, endoscopic brow lift or Botox injections.
FACE LIFT AND NECK LIFT PRINCIPLES
Scarring from the face lift and neck lift is hidden (inside the hairline and around the ear) The amount of skin removed in a face lift and neck lift is limited The muscles are tightened, so as to correct their slackening, using a SMAS lift. Depending on the need to reposition the midface (cheek), several approaches can be envisaged:
- a midface lift is necessary (cheek ptosis): face lift and neck lift using a high SMAS technique or a face lift and neck lift using a lower SMAS technique, followed by a second midface lift using the inferior blepharoplasty route.
- a midface lift is not necessary (no cheek ptosis): lower SMAS face lift and neck lift.
Sometimes, for necks presenting significant slackening or marked platysmal bands, a submental neck lift is performed through an incision in the fold under the chin. This also enables the appearance of a double chin or chin ptosis to be treated. The scarring is discreet and well concealed.
The skin is then redraped as required, without traction.
Any fatty deposits can be treated with liposuction. Conversely, if the face is emaciated, a micro-injection of fat (lipostructure) can enhance the face lift and neck lift.
POST-OPERATIVE EFFECTS OF A CERVICALFACIAL LIFT
- Discharge the following day
- Dressing removed on the 3rd day
- No pain but a feeling of discomfort or tension behind the ears or on the neck
- Ecchymosis (bruising): 10 to 14 days
- Oedema (frequent): lasting several days
- Hair can be washed from the 3rd day
- Return to social activities after 14 days
The results of facial rejuvenation with a face lift and neck lift are natural (the skin is not too taut), lasting (the muscular plane is solid) and the post-operative effects are fairly simple (limited tension and removal of skin).
Photo showing example of result: Face lift and neck lift before/after photo
At an early stage in the facial ageing process, injections of hyaluronic acid, possibly combined with an injection of botox, enables wrinkles to be smoothed out, to harmonise the contours of the face and to restore the lack of volume related to age. These injections perform a mini non-surgical face lift.
Further information: mini-facelift with injections
OPTIMISATION OF THE RESULT OF THE FACE LIFT
A face lift can be combined with other facial rejuvenation techniques (lipostructure, injections, chemical peels, laser therapy) in order to rejuvenate the face in a harmonious manner and to optimise or maintain the result of the face lift.
Injection of Botox (Botulinum toxin): treats wrinkles (crow's feet, glabella and forehead), lifts the eyebrows and brightens up the eye area. Further information: Botox injection
Skin resurfacing techniques (mesotherapy, dermabrasion, chemical peel, laser therapy): treatment of certain aspects of the skin's surface (crepey skin, sun spots, wrinkles and lines).
Eyelid surgery: blepharoplasty. Further information: eyelid surgery
1. Temporal brow lift (temple and outer tips of the eyebrows)
2. Face lift (face)
3. Cervical lift (neck)
Liposuction of the neck frequently combined with a cervico-facial lift
Before-after photos of a face lift of the cervico-facial lift type. Result at 1 year
Consultations for a face lift take place in the aesthetic surgeon’s consulting room, rue d’Antibes in Cannes
- Operation at the clinic in Cannes or Nice
- Hospitalisation: outpatient or one night
- Anaesthesia: general or assisted local
- Duration: 2 to 4 hours
- Dressing for 2 days
- First shampoo on the 2nd day
- Time away from social activities: 7 to 14 days
- No stitches to be removed