SURGERY FOR PROTRUDING EARS OR OTOPLASTIES – Cannes & Nice | Dr. Victor Médard de Chardon
What is the definition of an otoplasty?
An otoplasty is an operation to correct protruding ears.
What are the objectives of surgery for protruding ears (otoplasty)?
An otoplasty consists of pinning back the ears by correcting anomalies in the cartilage which are responsible for the appearance of protruding ears. An otoplasty usually concerns both ears but can be performed on just one ear.
What are the different causes and aspects of protruding ears?
There are usually three types of cartilaginous anomalies, which are more or less associated, and which are responsible for the appearance of protruding ears:
- Helix valgus: the angle between the ear and the cranium is too open, creating the appearance of protruding ears
- Hypertrophy of the concha: the size of the cartilage in the concha is excessive and makes the ear project forward, which is what creates the appearance of protruding ears
- Defect in the plicature of the anthelix: this concerns an insufficient contouring of the cartilage of the anthelix
From what age can an otoplasty be carried out?
Surgery for protruding ears (otoplasty) can be performed from the age of 7 , as long as the child expresses their wishes in this regard.
The skin incisions involved in an otoplasty are perfectly concealed. The incision is positioned behind the ears in the natural fold.
Remodelling of protruding ears
The cartilage of the ears is remodelled to create the natural reliefs and contours of the ears. Therefore the otoplasty enables the ears to be pinned back by acting on:
- Hypertrophy of the concha by burying the concha
- A defect in the pliacture of the anthelix using partial anterior and plicature chondrotomy
- Valgus of the earlobe using cartilaginous and skin plasty
POST-OPERATIVE EFFECTS AND RESULT
- Moderate pain (soothed by painkillers)
- Frequent ecchymosis (bruising): 7 days
- Frequent oedema: moderate swelling, masking the contour of the ears
- No stitches to be removed
- Ear compression bandage: 14 days, night and day, then 14 days at night only
- Result immediately visible but final result in 14 to 30 days (source of oedema)
- Otoplasty photo result: otoplasty before/after photo
STATE HEALTH INSURANCE COVER
Surgery for protruding ears (otoplasty) can be covered by health insurance on the sole condition that a psychological impact is present.
In green: helix
In blue: anthelix
In yellow: concha
In red: lobe
Incision hidden behind the ear
Consultations at the aesthetic surgeon's office in rue d'Antibes, Cannes
- Operation at the clinic in Cannes or Nice
- Hospitalisation: outpatient
- Anaesthesia: general
- Duration: 1 hour
- Time away from social activities: 15 days
- Wearing of a band day and night: 15 days
- Wearing of a band at night: 15 days
- No stitches to be removed