Rhinoplasty, nose surgery – Cannes & Nice | Dr. Victor Médard de Chardon
Dr. Victor Médard de Chardon has a passion for rhinoplasty, one of the most delicate aesthetic procedures as well as one of the most common, involving precise remodelling techniques. Dr. Victor Médard de Chardon is a member of The Rhinoplasty Society of Europe, and has wide-ranging experience and knowledge in nose surgery. He performs primary rhinoplasty, secondary rhinoplasty (or revision rhinoplasty), and ethnic rhinoplasty (Asian, Middle-Eastern or African noses). Rhinoplasty is performed in accordance with several fundamental principles: to harmonise the aesthetics of the nose within the face, tailoring it to the personality of each patient, to improve the respiratory function of the nose and to create a result that will remain stable over time.
Most old reduction rhinoplasty techniques seemed satisfactory after the first year, but in retrospect the results were not permanent due to the destabilisation of the architectural integrity of the nose. Preserving the architectural integrity of the nose is state of the art rhinoplasty. It is important to maintain the architectural integrity of both the supporting bone and cartilage structure of the nose. This approach, known as structural rhinoplasty , allows us to preserve the function of the nose and to obtain a natural nose.
For example, in "traditional" techniques, achieving a smaller tip to the nose involved removing a large part of the nasal cartilage from the tip of the nose. Today, the aesthetic and functional result can be achieved by removing a very small amount of cartilage from the tip and sculpting, remodelling and repositioning the cartilage and bones of the nose.
What is the definition of a rhinoplasty?
From what age can a rhinoplasty be carried out?
A rhinoplasty can be performed once facial growth is complete, usually after 16 years of age.
PRE-OPERATIVE CONSULTATIONS FOR RHINOPLASTY
The 1st pre-operative consultation for rhinoplasty
- Pre-operative consultations for rhinoplasty take place at the aesthetic surgeon's office located at: Eden Palace, 145 rue d’Antibes 06400 Cannes. Thorough consultations before nose surgery are essential to determine the best rhinoplasty strategy tailored to each patient.
- The patient states their requests and their reasons for wanting a rhinoplasty.
- A clinical examination of the aesthetics of the nose and the functionality of the nose (nasal respiration) is performed.
- Photographs are taken.
- The objectives of the surgery and technique to be used for the rhinoplasty are presented.
- Information is provided on the benefits, risks and post-operative effects of nasal surgery.
- Information forms from the French Society of Reconstructive and Aesthetic Plastic Surgery are provided, along with a quote detailing the price of the rhinoplasty.
- If necessary, a sinus scan request is given.
- A cooling-off period is required before the 2nd consultation, as with any aesthetic surgery procedure.
The 2nd pre-operative consultation for rhinoplasty
- A plan, with photographs, of the future shape of the nose is presented, discussed and approved. This plan sets out the target objective, and the aim is to get as close to this as possible.
- The date of surgery and the date of the anaesthesia consultation are agreed (Hôpital Privé Cannes Oxford).
- These consultations should answer all your questions. If not, you are free to call or see us for further consultation as many times as necessary.
TECHNICAL PRINCIPLES OF NOSE SURGERY
Every rhinoplasty is unique, restoring the harmony of the nose within the face.
The purposes of a aesthetic rhinoplasty are various: to remove a bump from the nose, narrow the width of the nose, narrow or raise the point of the nose, treat a nasal deviation (septoplasty), correct a long or broken nose, reduce the width of the nostrils (wide nostrils) or correct imperfections from a previous rhinoplasty (secondary rhinoplasty).
The incisions (scars) of a rhinoplasty are typically of two kinds (see picture, above right):
- Closed rhinoplasty: the incisions are completely hidden inside the nose (endonasal incisions)
- Open rhinoplasty: the incisions are partly hidden inside the nose with a small scar on the columella. This scar usually heals extremely well and is and well hidden by the shadow created in this area. For secondary or tertiary rhinoplasty, the open technique is usually necessary. Further information: secondary nose surgery.
- The choice of incision (endonasal or open) is made by the aesthetic surgeon based on the operative techniques to be performed on the nose
Functional rhinoplasty by turbinectomy and/or septoplasty
This is nose surgery to improve nasal respirationand consists of removing the nasal obstruction:
- Where the nasal concha are hypertrophic, partial resection (turbinectomy) improves nasal respiration.
- Surgery on the nasal septum (septoplasty) improves nasal respiration via resection of a septal spur or by straightening out a deviation in the nasal septum.
This is a aesthetic surgery to improve the harmony of the face in profile, between the forehead, nose and chin.
A receding forehead or chin worsens the appearance of a hyper-projected nose ("long nose"). A protruding forehead or chin worsens the appearance of a hypo-projected nose ("short nose").
- Chin surgery: a rhinoplasty can sometimes be combined with surgery to reduce or enhance the chin Further information: chin surgery (bone genioplasty) or chin prosthesis
- Forehead surgery: remodelling of the forehead can be done at the same time as nose surgery
POST-OPERATIVE EFFECTS AND RESULT
- No pain
- Oedema (swelling of the nose)
- Bruising: 7 to 15 days
- There is usually no dressing If a dressing is applied, it will be taken off the following day and removal is completely painless.
- For a tip rhinoplasty, there is no splint For other types of rhinoplasty, the splint is removed on the 6th day
- Nose-blowing not permitted for: 1 month
- Sports and strenuous activities not permitted for: 3 months
- Result of a rhinoplasty: good preview of the result by the 3rd month, definitive appearance between 6 and 12 months
- Photo showing example of result : rhinoplasty before/after photo
STATE HEALTH INSURANCE COVER
A functional rhinoplasty may be covered by social security health cover. Your plastic surgeon will give you a preliminary agreement form and you will be invited to meet with the state health insurance medical advisor, who will make the final decision. For more information rhinoplasty reimbursement
MEDICAL RHINOPLASTY: MEDICAL RHINOPLASTY BY INJECTIONS
A medical rhinoplasty is essentially performed by injecting fillers (e.g. hyaluronic acid, Radiesse) and can only correct certain minor imperfections of the nose: a small bump on the nose, a small depression, or slight nasal asymmetry. Other procedures (botox, peels or laser) can be used alongside filler injections to treat other imperfections of the nose.
A medical rhinoplasty cannot replace a surgical rhinoplasty (nose surgery).
During the first consultation in Cannes, the plastic surgeon will determine whether the changes to your nose can be achieved by medical rhinoplasty or by nose surgery. Further information: medical rhinoplasty with hyaluronic acid injection
In green: Incision totally hidden inside the nose
In white: Incision on the columella and then hidden in the nose
Rhinoplasty for bump before/after photo. Result at 1 year
Consultations at the aesthetic surgeon's office in rue d'Antibes, Cannes
- Operation at the clinic in Cannes or Nice
- Hospitalisation: outpatient or one night
- Anaesthesia: general or assisted local
- Duration: 1 to 3 hours
- Time away from social activities: 15 days
- Splint: 6 days
- No dressing
- No nose-blowing: 1 month
- No glasses: 1 month